This past Sunday I was a farmer. I had the opportunity to spend the morning with twelve teenagers, sharing God's Word and having some very interesting discussions. As I reflected on our conversations on my drive home, I was reminded of the parable of the sower. Sunday, I was used by God to plant some seeds in a variety of soil conditions, and water some of the young plants that had already started to grow. I am prayerful that the seeds planted will take root and grow into mature plants that produce "a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown."
My topic of discussion was our identity in Christ, and I titled my lesson, "Who am I?" As I read and studied in preparation for this lesson, I was encouraged by many Bible verses on this topic. I chose ten "I AM" statements to highlight.
- I am God's child. John 1:12, "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."
- I am a friend of Jesus. John 15:15, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friend, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."
- I am justified. Romans 5:1, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."
- I am part of the body of Christ. 1 Corinthians 12:27, "Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is part of it."
- I am a citizen of heaven. Philippians 3:20, "But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ."
- I am God's workmanship (His masterpiece). Ephesians 2:10, "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, whish God prepared in advance for us to do."
- I am a new creation in Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:17, "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!"
- I am the devil's enemy. 1 Peter 5:8, "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."
- I am part of the Bride of Christ. Revelations 19:7, "Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready."
- I am an alien in this world. 1 Peter 2:11, "Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires which war against your soul."
I found these verses very encouraging, and I was excited to share them. You are God's masterpiece. You were created by God to do good works (Ephesians 2:10). You were created to bear fruit (John 15:16) and to be pruned and made more fruitful (John 15:1-2). You were created to be salt and light in this world (Matthew 5:13-14).
You are wonderful in His eyes, and in His hand you become a tool to be used for His glory.